Charles Pitcher was born in Cumberland, Maryland. He received a BA from Westminster College in 1950 and pursued a Special Studies Degree from Pratt Institute in the same year. In 1957, he received a BSA in Education from Edinboro University. Pitcher taught Art in the Pittsburgh City School System from 1957-1965, was director of education at Buhl Planitarium from 1965-1971 and was owner of the Charles Pitcher Gallery in Shadyside from 1970-1973. Pitcher’s paintings express nature in its most pristine form. He creates illusions using nature’s elements and spaces to challenge the viewer by placing him face to face with the reality of a pure, untouched environment to provoke an emotional and psychological response. Charles Pitcher died in 2009.